Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A weekend of happiness.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy" - Anne Frank
There is nothing that I love more than having those refreshing weekends where you lack any definite plans other than spending a lot of time with friends and family you love. And that I did! It's always necessary to have nights with some of my favorite FIJI men and great friends. On Friday night, a group of us raced out to the Uptown bars, excited, dressed up, and ready for a good time. Our Uptown adventures certainly exceed our expectations every time Paige and I venture out together. Needless to say, we had a blast! 

                                       
                                                    Two of my favorite FIJI men out at Stella's Fish Cafe. Love them!

Saturday consisted of another trip to the Wedding Shoppe for a dress fitting with my best friend Mary. Oh how I WISH that I could include some of the memories made on these trips in my Maid of Honor speech, but some things are better left unsaid and kept secret. :) The Wedding Shoppe is an interesting place, in one room you find the nervous bride, indecisive on her choice of a wedding dress, trying to please the different personalities she chose to accompany her. In the next room, you can find a "diva bride," looking to dominate any and all conversations, make the day completely about her and demand unnecessary things from her bridal party and family members. Then you can find the happy, yet slightly (and reasonably) overwhelmed bride. She's excited and giddy to be there and to marry the man of her dreams, focused on the little details of her dress and her experience, knows what she wants and how to get it, yet always thinking about what is left to do before the wedding - that's my best friend! And she's fabulous!!

After getting my "wedding fix," my friend Nicole and I spent the rest of Saturday afternoon volunteering for the Junior League of Minneapolis to recruit little models for the American Girl Doll Fashion Show.

We had some nostalgic moments as we "shopped" around the store, looking at the new dolls of the year, admiring the classic dolls, and learning that our favorites like Samantha and Kirsten were now becoming retired dolls. Sometimes I wish I could be 8 years old again, taking Girls Day trips with my mom to the American Girl store - especially now that they have the new baby grand piano for your doll! That quite possibly could have been the best gift I would have received when I was younger. Despite the prices and often over-the-top perceptions of the American Girl dolls, I think they are special gifts and one that will remain special to every girl who is lucky enough to get one - or three!

"Every American Girl doll encourages hours of imagination and play—from dreaming up adventures to styling hair to sharing every little secret. Whether her doll is from America’s past or present day, there’s a friend for your favorite girl to love and learn from." - The American Girls

The weekend certainly wasn't complete without a shred session with our "Sunday Shredders" gang! A Snowboarding-on-Sundays obsession has officially been born. Some friends and I have been out to little Buck Hill on Sunday nights for their Sunday night special, even the Sunday morning special on some weekends. It's the best way to end any weekend and a great way to start off the week!

Derek, Paige and me - Sunday night shredding!
With that, take the Dalai Lama's words on happiness as inspiration, and do one nice thing for a stranger today. Spread the love! - Dalai Lama
"It is very important to generate a good attitude, and a good heart, as much as possible.
From this, happiness in both the short term and the long term for both yourself and
others will come."



No comments:

Post a Comment